Area Guide: Leland & Brunswick County
If your perfect day includes golf in the morning and an evening walk along the beach, then Brunswick County is your paradise. If you are new to the area or thinking of relocating, we invite you to explore all it has to offer.
About the Area
For generations, beachgoers have been visiting this storied stretch of shoreline, creating lifelong memories filled with sun, sand and seafood. Whether it’s the area’s inviting charm, expansive and pristine beaches, temperate seasons, coastal cuisine or unique attractions, you’ll treasure all Brunswick County has to offer.
- Leland – Located a short drive from the city of Wilmington and the beaches of Brunswick County, Leland offers a quiet home base for those looking to relocate and retire. It is the gateway to the beach towns of Brunswick County.
- Southport – Southport is located where the Cape Fear River meets the Atlantic Ocean. It’s known for its stunning scenery, maritime heritage and sea breezes that are calm and welcoming. The Southport Ferry is also a popular attraction for many!
- Brunswick County Beaches
- Bald Head Island – Just a few miles from Southport sits Bald Head Island. It’s one of the few islands in the Eastern United States where vehicles are not allowed and golf carts are the primary mode of transportation.
- Oak Island and Caswell Beach – Caswell Beach is home to the Oak Island Lighthouse, and offers serene beach and lush marsh views.
- Holden Beach – Known as a popular family beach destination, Holden Beach offers small town charm and unspoiled beauty. Chasing ghost crabs with a flashlight or wading in the Lockwood Folly Inlet are popular activities for residents and tourists alike.
- Ocean Isle Beach – Ocean Isle Beach offers the perfect combination of low-key relaxation and opportunities for adventure. It’s also known as a popular spot for Brunswick Island’s surfers.
- Sunset Beach – As the southern-most Brunswick Island beach, Sunset Beach has sweeping views of sand and surf. It also features Bird Island and the Kindred Spirit Mailbox, where you can share your thoughts and stories with others in the pages of a notebook tucked within.
Things to See and Do
These are our top 10 picks for things to see and do in Brunswick County.
- The Clubs at St. James – 3779 Members Club Blvd., Southport, N.C. – 910.477.8500 – https://www.theclubsatstjames.com/. Proudly offering four unique golf courses with an assortment of challenges. From the highest slope ratings of any course in the region to multilevel bent grass greens and split fairways, these courses are perfect for those who like a high risk-reward style of golf.
- Compass Pointe Golf – 2431 The Pointe Club Drive, Leland, N.C. – 910.777.7766 – https://www.compasspointegolfclub.com/. The course features wide and fast fairways, large Champion Bermuda greens and native Carolina landscapes that create an exceptional golf experience.
- Silver Coast Winery & Tasting Room – Ocean Isle Beach & Southport, N.C. – 910.287.2800 – https://silvercoastwinery.com/. Enjoy wines from the Carolinas. Silver Coast has a tasting room in Southport and a winery on the mainland of Ocean Isle.
- Rivers Edge Golf Club – 2000 Arnold Palmer Drive Shallotte, N.C. – 910.755.3434 – https://playriversedgegolf.com/. Sitting along the Shallotte River, this Arnold Palmer Signature Design course is by far one of the most scenic courses in the Eastern United States.
- Old Baldy Lighthouse – 101 Light House Wynd, Bald Head Island, N.C. – 910.457.7481 – https://www.oldbaldy.org/. Gain unique perspective as you tour North Carolina’s oldest standing lighthouse.
- Odell Williamson Auditorium – 150 College Road NE, Bolivia, N.C. – 910.755.7416 – http://www.bccowa.com/. Enjoy a show from the performing art series, which offers educational and cultural enrichment for the community.
- OIB Helicopter Tours – 6070 Beach Drive, Shallotte, N.C. – 910.575.7575 – Scenic helicopter tours, covering all for the Brunswick County islands and the surrounding area.
- Calabash Fishing Charters from Hurricane Fleet – 9975 Nance Street, Calabash, N.C. – 843.249.35711 – https://hurricanefleet.com/. From deep sea fishing to dolphin tours, experience the Brunswick County islands from the water.
- Big Cat’s Golf at Ocean Ridge – 351 Ocean Ridge Parkway, Ocean Isle, Beach N.C. – 800.233.1801. http://www.bigcatsgolf.com/. A ferocious foursome of golf courses is a sparkling jewel of the South Brunswick islands.
- Callahan’s of Calabash – 9973 Beach Drive, Calabash, N.C. – 910.579.2611 –http://callahansgifts.com/. Shop a vast selection of home and holiday decor, apparel and gifts in a sprawling 35,000-square-foot specialty retail space.
These are our top 10 picks for restaurants and dining experiences in Brunswick County.
- Pizzetta’s – 1144 East Cutlar Crossing Suite 105, Leland, N.C. – 910.371.6001 – https://pizzettaspizzanc.com/. Whether you are looking for an authentic Italian pasta dish or a hand-tossed pizza fresh from the oven, Pizzetta’s is the place to be!
- Boundary House – 1045 River Road, Calabash, N.C. – 910.579.8888 – http://boundaryhouserestaurant.com/ Offering a variety of dishes prepared in-house using only the finest ingredients. Boundary House serves only USDA Choice beef and the freshest seafood available.
- Southport Gourmet & Sushi Bar – 1643 North Howe Street, Southport, N.C. – 910.477.9045 – https://www.southportgourmetandsushibar.com/. Enjoy Japanese-style dishes alongside creative sushi rolls and sashimi in a laid-back atmosphere.
- Purple Onion Cafe– 4647 Main Street, Shallotte, N.C. – 910.755.6071 –https://www.purpleonioncafe.com/index. A community favorite for breakfast and lunch. Its menu includes traditional breakfast items as well as burgers, sandwiches, soups, salads and desserts.
- Latitudes – 2431 The Pointe Club Drive, Leland, N.C. – 910.777.7766 – https://www.latitudes-restaurant.com. This is a favorite spot among Compass Pointe residents, as it’s known for its laid-back atmosphere and as a gathering place. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner and Trivia Tuesdays twice a month.
- PT’s Olde Fashioned Grille – Various Locations – 910.679.6586 – https://ptsgrille.com/. You can’t pass up the burgers and fries! Voted the best burger in Wilmington by Encore Magazine.
- Provision Company – 1343 Cedar Landing Road, Supply, N.C. – 910.842.7205 –https://procohb.com/. A throwback to a simpler time! The Provision Company is a no-frills eatery serving fresh seafood, sandwiches and beautiful views of the Intracoastal Waterway near Holden Beach.
- Southport Smokehouse – 1102 North Howe Street, Southport, N.C. – 910.363.5035 –https://www.southportsmokehouse.com/. From a low-key counter, Southport Smokehouse dishes up classic barbecue plates and sandwiches in an airy setting.
- Sharkey’s Waterfront Restaurant – 61 Causeway Drive, Ocean Isle Beach, N.C. – 910.579.9177. https://www.sharkysoceanisle.com/. A family-friendly seafood spot, also serving pizzas and pastas, with a large deck that overlooks the inlet.
- Captn. Nance’s Seafood Restaurant – 9939 Nance Street, Calabash, N.C. – 910.579.2574 – https://www.captainnancesseafood.com/. Family owned and operated since 1975, and located beside the beautiful Calabash River. Captn. Nance’s serves traditional Calabash-style seafood.
Relocating to Leland or Brunswick County, NC
If you’d like to learn more about designing and building a custom home in Leland or Brunswick County, contact us today to discover the possibilities!